We’d like to begin by thanking everyone for their help with testing, and spreading the word about, the first beta of this plugin. The amount of feedback we received this weekend, contributions to the code itself, and number of people advocating the testing of our plugin has proven very valuable. Thank you.
I’m really excited to release Beta 2 of Version 1.1 of the plugin (direct download). We’ve got some nice additions and improvements to the plugin, as well as some general fixes that I think will make this plugin much more stable.
The bigger changes
Beta 2 has some pretty big changes, most of which were spurred by some feedback we received from Matt Mullenweg. Thanks to him for providing excellent feedback on the first beta of the plugin.
We’ve changed the short code that the plugin produces for both videos that appear in posts and videos that appear in comments. Our old short code was viddler_video=key,width,height. We’ve now changed it around a bit and it shall be displayed as viddler id-key h- w-. In case you’re wondering, this is the same short code that WordPress.com uses for embedding Viddler videos. We figured that aligning the two would increase compatibility with our short code, as well as making the width and height dimensions much easier to understand.
All older short codes will still work including [viddler_video* and [viddler_comment* from version 1.1 beta 1, version 1.0, and all of the version 1.0 betas. In other words, there is no reason to change your older posts unless you really want to.
Video thumbnails are fixed sizes since we started to see that some WordPress themes were not controlling, or over controlling, the size of the video thumbnail that appears in a post and/or comment. As such we began to see huge and/or tiny thumbnails. Now we’ve added fixed sizes based on the width and height specified in the short code.
You may view the readme.txt file for a detailed description of the exact bugs that were squashed with this release, but here are some of the more important ones.
Dashboard WordPress news was displaying really oddly in Beta 1. We found out that a portion of our admin stylesheet was adversely affecting that of the WordPress news that displays on your dashboard. This slipped by our nose’s, sorry. Thanks to Alex Hillman for reporting the problem, and to Jason Waldrip for helping to figure it out the solution.
The included XML Parser had thrown a few PHP 5 errors. Thanks to Lee Adkins for contributing some code patches, this has now been fixed in Beta 2.
There are many other improvements with this release, but you’ll have to review the readme for those. We’re hoping to get a third beta release out by Thursday of this week, so if you have any feedback please leave it in the comments below. We’d like to limit ourselves to four or five betas before we add this to the WordPress plugin directory and officially announce it on Viddler’s blog.